White paper: Should you Build or Buy Automation Technology?
Many firms wrangle with the decision to internally build or buy automation technology solutions.
Some internal projects succeed while others crash and burn. So how can internal stakeholders approach this with more clarity to make the right decisions? In this white paper, we present the project risks and pitfalls associated with this classic build or buy automation technology decision. Our findings are based on our experience working alongside a wide variety of financial services firms since 1998. We answer the following questions:
- What are the six criteria for a successful technology application?
- How do goals differ between internal and external development teams?
- When does it make sense to develop technology solutions internally?
- Why do internal application development projects fail?
- What are some case studies showcasing the success or failure of financial services technology developments?
About the Author:
John Toepfer is Co-Founder and President of Synthesis Technology. He is a technology entrepreneur, investor and business owner with a 25-year background in building and supporting communication solutions for the financial services industry. He lives in Chicago with his wife and two sons.